[DVDnav-discuss] Segmentation fault trying to read "The Prestige" DVD in VLC

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Thu Jun 13 00:47:48 CEST 2013

> As stated, I am launching VLC from a terminal with the following command:
> $ vlc dvd:// &
> which works fine for all my video DVDs except for "The Prestige" (the
> movie with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman).
>
> The DVD works in a cheapo standalone DVD player. It also seems to work
> in my Xbox 360 (I get sound even though the Xbox gives the secure HDCP
> not found error).
>
> Anyway, here is the last lines of running VLC through strace:
> <cut>
> Please send bug report - no VTS_TMAPT ??
>  <unfinished ...>
> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
>
> [1]+  Segmentation fault      strace vlc dvd://

This warning message is harmless and is very likely not the cause of
the segfault.

Rathann is right, a backtrace would probably point to what the actual
problem is.

Rathann checked in a patch from John Stebbins that removed that
warning message on December 9th of last year, so it is not yet in the
released version of libdvdread.

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/