[DVDnav-discuss] Problem with DVD

Mike Castle dalgoda+mplayer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 01:48:07 CEST 2012

Wow... been ignoring email for a while....

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So you (have to) use the DVD navigation in xine? I.e. using VLC should

I use xine.  I tried VLC _years_ ago, didn't like, never revisited it.
 So, no clue.

Recently I made a python wrapper for dvdnav using ctypes and wrote a
tool that will navigate every menu and press every button at least
once.  Useful for identifying discs that have scratches on them and
figuring out where it is (I can then usually grind and buff out the
scratch successfully).

Since this tool only hits track that are actually referenced in the
menu, it has the side affect of telling me which tracks I care about.

The script works on probably 80% of the DVDs I toss at it.  Some that
change state depending on VM have problems, like kids DVDs that have a
play once/loop forever options.  The tool will blindly select the loop
forever option then play the associated track and never returns.....

Also quite a few cases where hitting a button too soon can get VM
errors.  But I've been too lazy to track that down.

mrc