[DVDnav-discuss] dvdnav_describe_title_chapters crashes

Fabian Keil fk at fabiankeil.de
Fri Aug 31 16:46:15 CEST 2012

Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:

> We seem to have a bit of an issue with dvdnav_describe_title_chapters.
>
> This function is the biggest crash of VLC, by quite a bit (followed by a
> crash in dvdnav_menu_call -> play_Cell, but that is a different story).
> Which is a bit odd, since DVD is probably not the biggest use of VLC...
>
> So far, we do not have a complete backtrace (because our last build did
> not have all debug symbols for dvdnav), but we will.
>
> In the meantime, we were wondering if anyone else was seeing such a high
> level of crashes in this function or are we the only ones seeing those?

Quoting
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/dvdnav-discuss/2012-July/001726.html:
| With some of those copies I can trigger at least four different
| crashes in libdvdnav 4.2.0's dvdnav_describe_title_chapters(),
| that aren't triggered when ripping with zero padding which lets
| VLC rejects the disc right away.

The last part isn't actually correct, though, at least one
of them can be triggered with the original DVD.

All the issues are fixed in Erik's repository and I haven't
seen any additional crashes in dvdnav_describe_title_chapters()
so far.

Fabian