[DVDnav-discuss] Crash in libdvdread-4.1.4-1219/src/dvd_reader.c:458

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Tue Sep 27 20:32:24 CEST 2011

> I installed the Debian source package, and looked in the source code what's on line 458:
>
>    /**
>     * If we're being asked to open a directory, check if that directory
>     * is the mount point for a DVD-ROM which we can use instead.
>     */
>
>    if( strlen( path_copy ) > 1 ) {

So strlen is being handed a NULL. It is easy to wrap a check of path_copy.

>      if( path_copy[ strlen( path_copy ) - 1 ] == '/' ) {
>        path_copy[ strlen( path_copy ) - 1 ] = '\0';
>      }
>    }
>
> 458 is the line:
>    if( strlen( path_copy ) > 1 ) {
>

> The Debian patch affecting dvd_reader.c is this one:
> http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/libdvdread/4.1.4-1219-2/06-hurd.patch

The snag is that this patch puts in logic and macro checks. It is difficult
to see if the patch itself is introducing the bug. Especially since we do not
have a comparison to the repo tree. If we knew that the repo build of
libdvdread also failed on this DVD it would help us diagnose the problem.

Thanks

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/