[DVDnav-discuss] Crashes when opening a .iso or .img that is incomplete

Janton Koster janton.koster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 09:58:02 CEST 2011

2011/9/1 Erik Hovland <erik at hovland.org>:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Janton Koster <janton.koster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I sometimes use VLC to play .iso or .img files i download.
>> Sometimes these files are not yet full downloaded but then VLC crashes, ok
>> not so strainge because the file is incomplete... but it bothers me that
>> it crashes. I will try to attach a small part of a incomplete iso/img.
>> I hope it's
>> simular, i used hjsplit to cut the first 10MB from a .iso . When i open
>> this file VLC also crashes, so i think it's the simular problem.
>>
>> Ok i just uploaded the 10MB file here:
>> http://www.2shared.com/file/ft-2xtP1/test.html
>>
>> Assertion failure in libdvdnav.
>
> A log of the assertion is way more helpful then a test file in this
> case.

In VLC log is empty, so i'm not sure how i can provite a log file (i'm
more a php guy then a software developer)
I know how to handle patches (with php files and some cpp scripts) but
building libdvdnav will be new for me...
I found the last libdvdnav-4.1.3.tar.bz2 file on the server, i will
try to find out how to build it to a .dll

The file is really small so i thought if you open it you will get the
crash directly and can see in debug what's going on, but perhaps i\m
wrong... looking in the log seems more complicated then just running
in debug and see the error. (also not sure if this is possible with
dll files)

Offtopic: is there some change log of the versions: 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 to
4.1.3 etc.? I understand VLC now uses 4.1.1, so i was just interested
in the new changes.