[DVDnav-discuss] assertion failure with certain DVD's

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:41:31 CET 2011

Hello all.

I get the following assertion playing the "Tangled" DVD with mplayer
and an up to date libdvdnav, on windows:

Assertion failed: (vm->state).pgc->cell_playback[(vm->state).cellN -
1].block_mode != 0, file libdvdnav/vm/vm.c, line 1141

The weird part about this is that in mac/linux, I get this error
message, and no failed assertion, and playing continues:
libdvdnav: Invalid angle block

I'd be happy to send more information, or a (legal) DVD to keep, for
any developer that would like to tackle it.

It appears that it happens with a few other (Disney?) DVD's, as well:
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2008-December/075458.html
https://trac.handbrake.fr/ticket/125
https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14189

So I'm guessing it's a libdvdnav bug.
As a note, in VLC on windows, this causes playback to "loop" over -
cellN=2 over and over, though it doesn't crash--I'm guessing it just
swallows the assertion failure, or the failure isn't enabled with that
build.

Thanks.
-roger-