[DVDnav-discuss] UDFGetVolumeIdentifier still broken; bug 1451

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Wed Nov 24 00:11:07 CET 2010

>> One more nit: I want to use this library inside volname, but the
>> warning
>>
>> libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
>> **                                            **
>> **  No css library available. See             **
>> **  /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/README.Debian  **
>> **  for more information.                     **
>> **                                            **
>>
>> is output every time I call DVDOpen().  This seems excessive,
>> and makes me want to not use libdvdread inside volname.
>>
>> Assuming the one does not need encrypted dvd support to
>> read volume names, can you move that error message later, so
>> it doesn't annoy users without reason?
>
> I see the latter part of that message is debian/ubuntu's,
> but the first part and the logic to present it is yours, so my nit
> still stands even though I shouldn't have included the debian part of
> the message in my email.

The first part seems reasonable considering it is a true statement.
It even goes to stderr, so it can be easily piped away. Are you
proposing that we only report this fact when the caller tries to
do something w/ an encrypted DVD? If that is the case, it is a bit
harder because the non-CSS calls do not detect that CSS
is the reason for failure.

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/