[DVDnav-discuss] dvdnav patches from handbrake project

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 29 22:22:04 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Erik Hovland <erik at hovland.org> wrote:
>> I've recreated the patches against svn head since there's been a few
>> changes since I originally created many of them.  New patches can be
>> found here http://www.stebbins.biz/source/patches/. I'll summarize the
>> patches again so that all the information is in one place.
>>
>> * nav-configure-uid0.patch
>> * read-configure-uid0.patch
>> These patches remove the special case test for uid=0.
>> Some package tools run configure as fakeroot.  This triggers code in
>> configure.ac that detects uid 0 to hardcode the installation path of the
>> m4 macros to the system aclocal macro dir.  This ignores any DESTDIR the
>> packaging tools may have set and installation fails since it attempts to
>> write to a system dir without proper permissions.
>
> It would be really nice if someone who is involved w/ a distribution who
> packages libdvdnav and libdvdread could comment.

The aclocal path mangling is silly. There are ways to deal with
autoconf macros in non-standard locations. So, I'm good with the
intent of the patch, and would be happy to see this kind of hack go
away.

The part of those patches I question is leaving the AM_CONDITIONAL
there. Am I wrong, or is this suppressing the installation of the
autoconf macros since ACLOCAL_DIR won't be set? If that's something
people want, it seems like the better thing would be a
--with-aclocaldir switch that recognizes "no" or "" values to suppress
installation. Without this, I'd have to require that the
AM_CONDITIONAL line be removed from the patches so that the autoconf
macros are still installed.

--
Dan