[DVDnav-discuss] dvdnav patches from handbrake project

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri May 28 00:05:06 CEST 2010

Erik,

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:08:43AM -0700, Erik Hovland wrote :
> Huge invasive patch to consolidate memory:
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/dvdnav-discuss/2009-November/001097.html
>
> Bug fix for crashing:
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/dvdnav-discuss/2009-November/001102.html
>
> Follow up patch for same crashing issue:
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/dvdnav-discuss/2009-December/001114.html

I have to say that I believe that we don't use those patches...

However, I have to say that many people report crashes on our forum on
modern DVDs lately, so the patches against crashes can't be that bad...
However, this is quite a bad timing for me, since we are on the edge of
release VLC 1.1.0, and therefore I can't test too much the patches on a set of
testers...

However, since we restart to discuss around here, it might be the right
time for a point.

On VLC, we patch dvdnav for:
 - pthread (applied)
 - resolution (applied)
 - deactivation of examples, because it doesn't work when Xcompiling and
   static dvdcsss (HACK, shouldn't be upstream)
 - some patch I don't understand anything about, so I can't comment.
   I link to it here, so you can know what I am talking about:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=extras/contrib/src/Patches/libdvdnav.patch;hb=HEAD

We patch dvdread for:
 - dvdcss as a static library (a HACK, I doubt it should be upstream)
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=extras/contrib/src/Patches/libdvdread-dvdcss-static.patch;hb=HEAD
 - some win32 mess I don't know exactly understand because of
   mismatching mingw version:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=extras/contrib/src/Patches/libdvdread-win32.patch;hb=HEAD

I don't say we are right or wrong, I just state the facts. :D
And I don't like forking upstream...

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf