[DVDnav-discuss] subtitles missing when using dumpstream with dvdnav://

Mike Castle dalgoda+mplayer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 01:45:16 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Markus Beyer <m.beyer5 at gmx.de> wrote:
> I'm having some trouble with dvdnav://
> If I try to pull a dvd to disk with 'mplayer dvdnav:// -dumpstream -dumpfile', the resulting file has no subtitles in it. If I switch dvdnav:// vor dvd://, it works fine, but dvd:// has some problems with certain dvds. If I just watch the dvd with dvdnav://, subtitles work just fine.
> Do you guys have any clue why this is happening? I just can't figure this out.

I've never noticed that dumpstream would pull in subtitles.

I typically always use this in a loop:
    mencoder \
      -chapter $chapters \
      -nocache \
      -dvd-device $dvd \
      -vobsubout $track.$chapters.vob \
      -vobsuboutindex $count \
      -sid $index \
      -oac copy \
      -ovc copy \
      -o /dev/null dvd://$track

Note that I use dvd: there instead of dvdnav.   For MOST DVD's that
I've seen, that will work for pulling subtitles, even for ones that
need dvdnav: for video.

For those handful that need to use dvdnav: here, be sure to check the
resulting .idx file.  Mencoder always ends up using xx: instead of the
real lang (en:, es:, fr:) of the track, so I have to manually edit the
.idx file (which is why I typically use dvd: unless there is a
problem).

mrc