[DVDnav-discuss] parallel make problem

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Sat Aug 30 19:56:42 CEST 2008

On Saturday, 30 August 2008 at 19:19, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> <dominik at greysector.net> wrote:
> > On Saturday, 30 August 2008 at 17:30, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> You really don't want to have a target dependent on a directory
> >> because make will always think the target is out of date.
> >
> > On second thought, why? If it's created by that rule, it should behave
> > just like any other file.
> >
> >> That prevents doing the right thing:
> >>
> >> $(OBJS) $(DVDREAD_OBJS) $(SHOBJS) $(DVDREAD_SHOBJS): $(.OBJDIR)
> >
> > Actually this seems to work fine.
>
> Run `make' again. Because the timestamp of the directory doesn't get
> updated, make will always think the directory is out of date. This
> leads to everything always been rebuilt. If that's something you can
> deal with, then this is the way to go.

Ah, I see what you mean. It wouldn't be a problem for one-time builds,
but it's not acceptable in general.

How about we drop this obj dir creation alltogether and just keep an
empty dir in the sources?

Patch attached (along with svn mkdir obj).

Regards,
R.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu
"Faith manages."