[DVDnav-discuss] libdvdread compatibility patches..

Jorgen Lundman lundman at lundman.net
Fri Aug 29 05:49:10 CEST 2008

> I don't like the idea of a decompression of any kind in libdvdread:
> I don't see the purpose and I consider it belonging to an upper
> layer library or application

Or lower. libdvdread already has the ability to set methods to for the
input functions. (Only two by default, css_* methods, and libc
methods.). Perhaps a good solution would be to add API calls to register
any other set of methods, in my case RAR, but one could imagine a few
others (FTP, HTTP etc).

But for now I simply added a 3rd dvd_input method for calling unrar, via
popen. Works surprisingly well.

>> Patch 3: Add UDF2.50 support to read new BD5/9 disks.
>
> very interesting

This appears to work. In that I can now iterate over BDMV, STREAM
directories, and find 00001.m2ts file. However, this does not really fit
in with libdvdread's methods of reading files. (title, domain, part).
Should there be a whole new set of methods just for BDMV images, or
translate the triplets on the fly "somewhow" to simulate a DVD image.

I did not fully implement UDF2.50 (metadata etc) (yet?), just the
extended file info. Just like libdvdread does not fully implement
UDF2.01 either.

> see the "-identify" code in mplayer to list the titles available
> with all their details

Thank you, I will have to check it. I was hoping that if I ask for a
particular video stream, particular audio stream, and particular
subtitle stream, and want to send just a large .VOB file to the media
device, that libdvdnav would do all the hard parts to (re)multiplex the
VOB data for me, so I simply stream it...? (Dreamin')

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman at lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)