[BoW] r14 - trunk/video_coding/qns.txt

Ramiro Polla ramiro.polla at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 20:27:24 CEST 2008

>> Text like this might scare people away...
>
> Well, I asked Jason for this section in question to be
> written, even if it is terse, not complete, missing
> stuff, not formated, etc pp...

I see now that it is actually a .txt (with CRLF line endings and +x
attributes, written in Windows =) and not part of the book itself.
What do you think about creating a directory such as docs, or
contribs, or source_of_supernatural_knowledge... to put these files
(so they don't get mixed up with the .tex files)?

> I'd rather clean up
> and extend a section who someone has written who knows
> about that stuff, then trying to write everything myself.
>
> Beside, the book is still only a skeleton, a lot of things
> will need to be written until we can really call it a book.
> Until then, we will probably rewrite stuff that we write now
> a few times until it fits nicely together.
>
> I appreciate your review of this section, but at the moment
> content in all sections is more important than having a nice
> text in a few sections that explains everything but will never
> be commited, because it's not yete perfect.

Sure.

It's a good idea for people to read up on Wikipedia's guidelines for
writing. Even though the technical quality of Wikipedia's articles
aren't the best, they mostly know how to write good and objective
articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Guide_to_writing_better_articles

> And as such, please feel free to correct, extend, rewrite
> anything you don't like

I'll try.

And here's a question I didn't know where to fit in and if it has been
addressed:
How long should lines be? Should it be the 80-columns rule (last
character is on column 79)? I think I saw 100 columns in some file...

> and most importantly add some sections
> about topics you know :-)

Will there be a topic about porting stuff to Windows? =)

Ramiro Polla