[MPlayer-users] MP4 recorded in portrait with Android phone -> OK with VLC but landscape with MPlayer/HTML5

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Apr 30 17:59:19 CEST 2013

People,

I have recorded a video in portrait with my Android phone (Samsung
Galaxy Note 1 with nightly Cyanogen Mod v10.1).  After transferring the
file to my Fedora 18 x86_64 server I find that the MP4 plays in
landscape mode with mplayer and HTML5 (when viewed from a Fedora
18/Chrome laptop) but plays correctly in portrait mode with VLC - how
does VLC know the correct orientation but MPlayer and the video driver
with HTML do not?  I couldn't find any solutions with Googling . .

I have not been able to test the HTML5 output with an OSX or Windows
browser yet so I am not sure if it is a general problem but how can I
ensure that the movies ALWAYS plays in portrait mode?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades