[MPlayer-users] [Bug?] No audio output with "-cache" option and laptop-mode

sirius sirius_alpha at onlinehome.de
Thu Jan 5 14:48:18 CET 2012

Hi,
I have a problem when playing multiple files when using laptop-mode with
hard disk spin down.

To reproduce:

mplayer -cache 1024 file5.mp3 file3.mp3 file1.mp3

Notes:
1. Make sure the files were not accessed before, else the might still be
cached in RAM
2. Make sure the files are not adjacent, I am not sure how the
disk-read-ahead cache of linux works, but I want to make sure that when
file5.mp3 is read we do not automatically read (parts of) file3.mp3 as well.
3. Alsa audio output
4. The first file will always be played without problems
5. When the the next file is to be played the problem occurs sometimes
(there seems to be a random process involved which I do not understant):
     (a) There are no errors or warnings, even with verbose output
     (b) The playback seems to be fine, I get correct info about the
file (duration) and correct position indicators
     (c) There is no audio output, just silence
     (d) Without the "-cache" option this problem does not occur.
     (e) Using other cache size does not help
     (f) Playing with the "-cache-min" option does not help
6. To illustrate that the output is not somehow blocked: using, e.g., 2x
mplayer at the same time works fine, I hear 2 songs at the same time.

Using:
Archlinux
MPlayer SVN-r34426-4.6.2

Can anyone reproduce this?