[MPlayer-users] Problem: some videos freeze, other very similar videos do not--difference might be just in resolution (pixels)--how to convert?

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 00:34:29 CEST 2011

Carl,

On Monday 17 October 2011 06:08:48 pm Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Randy Kramer <rhkramer <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > rhk <at> s17:/back2/videos/music_vid$ mplayer video1.flv
> > MPlayer dev-SVN-r26940
>
> This is ancient, please use current svn.

That is the latest version of mplayer that is in the standard apt-get
repository for Debian 5.0 (Lenny).  Actually, I did upgrade since the
previous time you replied to me, but that only changed the version from
version:

Version: 1:1.0.rc2svn20080706-0.1lenny1

to version:

Version: 1:1.0.rc2svn20080706-0.1lenny2

I don't think I'm up for compiling mplayer.

> (And I do not remember that this was ever shown in this way, please always
> post unchanged output if it does not contain passwords or similar)

The only thing I changed in the output was the actual titles of the
videos--everything else is exactly as it appeared on the screen.

> You are using -vo xv, this means that scaling is free, changing resolutions
> makes no difference therefore.

Interesting.  Then I wonder why some videos work and others don't?

> If you want to test if an issue you see is performance-related, simply use
> mplayer -speed 0.2 (or similar).

I tried that--at -speed 0.8, at least one of the videos does work (of course,
it doesn't look or sound right).

I'm still thinking I need to use ffmpeg (or something similar) to convert
the "bad" videos to something more like the videos that work.  Except, if it
is not a resolution issue, I don't know what the issue could be.

Randy Kramer