[MPlayer-users] Mplayer RTSP streaming Latency

Joshua Masters jmasters.home at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 16:17:07 CET 2011

Hello,

I am using the Live555 server to create a RTSP stream coming from a video
camera.

When I use Mplayer to play back the stream, I am seeing a 1.5 to 2.5 second
delay in the video image.   I tried using the -nocache option but it didn't
make any difference.   I need to get the latency as low as possible, but
somewhere in the 500 millisecond range should be acceptable.  Is there
anyway that I can tweak MPlayer to do this?

Using VLC media player to play the same stream, I was able to get the
latency down to about 700-800 milliseconds by setting the caching to a low
value.   This is somewhat acceptable, but I would much rather use MPlayer
since I am already using pretty extensively in my project.

Thanks,

Joshua