[MPlayer-users] Font scan

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Jun 29 16:57:14 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:55:08AM +0100, Phil Rhodes wrote:
> It has been many months since mplayer has been usable for me because every time I use it I end up looking at a screen full of this for five minutes straight:
>
> Reading Font [184/845]: F:/WINDOWS/Fonts/batang.ttc
>
> etc, etc.
>
> Is there some way of making it not do this? What on earth does it need fonts for, anyway? It's a video player!

I guess that part was answered by others...
First, the issue here is with fontconfig.
Which means you can get a version without fontconfig support, but then
you won't have OSD or text subtitles either unless you explicitly specify
a font to use with the -font option (or provide a subfont.ttf in the config file).
Alternatively, the -nofontconfig option should have the same effect.
Lastly, unless the fontconfig used to build MPlayer is broken (which, in my
experience it is most of the time for Windows unfortunately), just letting
it run through once (yes, even if it takes 15 minutes) should "fix"
it, too.