[MPlayer-users] mencoder: Non-dvd encoding

Greg Bryant bryantgtx at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 17:39:27 CET 2009

Now that I'm compiled and running on all platforms (updated win box to this
morning's svn to fix the last problem), I'm trying to learn more about the
encoding options.  My target is h264 using libx264/aac in mp4 containers.
I've been through chapter 11 in the HTML docs, but am still struggling with
my test case - a 24fps 4m20s MOV video clip, trying to transcode it to MP4,
and always getting progressive A/V sync issues (audio ends up around 30s
late by the end).  Here's my base encoding line:
mencoder input.mov -o output.mp4 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=libx264 - oac
copy -mc 0

I've played with a variety of options, including varying the -ofps, which
just ended up dropping frames without seeming to affect the sync, -vf
harddup which didn't seem to do anything (not sure I understand that one
totally yet anyway), and some minor tweaks to lavcopts.

Is this more an audio thing - need to specify audio options rather than just
copy?

Is there a way to keyframe sync audio and video?

At least my output file is totally consistent across linux, mac and win!
Thanks for any suggestions, doc pointers, etc.

Greg