[MPlayer-users] Running multiple instance of mplayer

wt at teksavvy.com wt at teksavvy.com
Sat Oct 18 18:48:39 CEST 2008

I'm currently running OpenSuse10.3 with MPlayer v1.0rc2.

I cannot run mplayer on separate console windows.  for example, I open
one console and execute mplayer for an audio file.  it works ok.  I then
open another console and execute mplayer to play another audio file,
this time, it seems to play based on the visual feedback from mplayer
but there is no sound.  The console output of this failed mplayer test
is shown below. I can notice the "Can't open audio device /dev/dsp:
Device or resource busy".  This could be the problem:

MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 1.80GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2,
Stepping: 7)
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing test.mp3.
Audio file file format detected.
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 22050 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 64.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 8000->88200)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or
resource busy
Opening /dev/dvb/adapter0/audio0
DVB AUDIO DEVICE: No such file or directory
AO: [null] 22050Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...

I also notice that when I have a webbrowser( Firefox) playing any online
video or audio (like google video,youtube,online radio), opening a
console and trying to play an audio file with mplayer  have the same
problem.

Is there a way around this problem.  I notice that programs such as
Banshee can play an audio file while i'm watching  youtube etc.

Thanks in advance.