[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed Oct 15 21:22:09 CEST 2008

Le tridi 23 vendémiaire, an CCXVII, Vladimir Mosgalin a écrit :
> Is it, really? I was ass-force-style when ass support just appeared, but
> soon disabled it because it broke default style in .ass subs. I.e. when
> you force style like this, it doesn't only affect old subs, but also
> replaces "Default" style in .ass subs which use it, destorying original
> style.

That works correctly with -ass-styles. The order of precedence is:
-ass-styles, styles in the ASS file, -ass-force-style, so all is well.

> Uh.. You can use -vo gl to get very fast video output (with yuv
> suboption), fast hardware scaling AND high-quality subtitles, rendered
> at screen resolution.

As I said in another mail, -vo gl has drawbacks also, mostly that it more
seldom works, especially with Libre software, and also because it has
tearing on my video controller.

> Btw I suggest you to use "ass-hinting = 5" (or 1), freetype autohinter
> in light mode looks nicer than BCI or normal mode when fonts are
> rendered in high resolution - fonts look nice and are readable anyway,
> and light hinting preserves more of original style than BCI.

Thanks, I will definitely try to look into it. But did not notice any
hinting problems anyway.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George