[MPlayer-users] Improper scaling on 5:4 display

Ben Buchwald bb2 at alumni.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 18 21:08:52 CET 2007

Thanks, that was exactly the tip I needed. -monitorpixelaspect 1 to
treat my pixels as square. It's so weird that I didn't find that
option on my own when looking though the manpage since I tried a bunch
of the options right above it and a bunch of the options right below
it. Might I suggest that the default behavior should probably be to
assume square pixels, especially with the rise of odd aspect ratio
lcds on laptops and an assumption that people run these things at
their native res? At the very least, I don't think this behavior of
post-scaling to correct display aspect ratio to monitor aspect ratio
(4:3) should be better documented. It isn't mentioned at all in the
manual and the only reference in the man page is the documentation of
the options -monitoraspect and -monitorpixelaspect. I think the
console output should mention that it is scaling to correct for
monitor aspect ratio, show the correction it is making, and maybe even
mention to read about -monitoraspect rather than just lying to me and
saying that it is making the video a size that it is not. Had I not
been testing video files where the internal resolution didn't match
it's aspect ratio, I would have always assumed that the pixel
resolution in the file was what I was seeing and never known that I
was watching all video scaled to the wrong aspect ratio.