[MPlayer-users] Auto-scale wish

Alberto Gonzalez luis6674 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 13:23:03 CET 2007

Stephen Mollett <molletts at yahoo.com> wrote:
>There's an option in the xorg i810 driver which fixes HD playback on the Intel
>chipsets - have a look at man i810 and search for the LinearAlloc option. I
>use it on my i855GM-based laptop with the suggested value of 6144 and I can
>play HD movies fine with Xv.

Yes, I know about that option, but I don't have problems playing HD videos as long as they don't exceed my (hardware?) limit of 1024x1080. All videos that fit in that size play just fine without modifying xorg.conf, and those exceeding the limit won't play whatever option I use in xorg.conf (LinearAlloc, VideoRam, CacheLines, etc...) The only way to play them with Xv is to rescale them to fit into my limit.

To see your own limit, try:

xvinfo | grep max

Then try to play a video that exceeds that limit in either width or height and you'll see it's not possible without rescaling.

Mplayer "knows" this fact. So it quits. That's my only concern. Why quit instead of automatically rescaling?