[MPlayer-users] SVN compiling problem

Henry Garcia defsyn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 20:34:43 CEST 2007

On 8/31/07, Alexander Bokovikov <openworld at uralweb.ru> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> JonY wrote:
>
> > Anyway, the new tools are available here, get the .tar.gz packages
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435
>
> Thanks, have done it.
>
> > The configure eval problem is possibly
> > caused by a bug in bash, use the snapshot bash 3.1, also
> > from the above site.
>
> I've downloaded it, but have no idea of how to install it. I've untar-ed
> it,
> but where to copy the files to? I've copied them into the MSYS\bin, etc.
> direstories. Is it correct? Anyway the same error is appeared. Then I've
> opened "configure" file, have found that line (2315) and have changed the
> tilda signs to quotes. Now I see another behaviour:
>
> ===============><8================
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... ac_maketemp=\c:/MinGW/bin/make.exe"
> no
> ===============><8================
>
> Some strange string appears, but at least there are no errors. Have you
> any
> idea why tilda signs here produce an error, though they work correctly at
> other places?
>
> Then I'm calling "make", it goes and some new errors appear at the end of
> listing:

Maybe you need to compile nasm from source and install it. Follow the
instructions from the MingwHowTO.txt file on the mplayerhq.hu site. You
should find a link to it inside the html documention.

Also, you should probably use the old make-3.79.1.exe instead of the new
make-3.81.exe. Check the version of make that you are using: make --version.
The make-3.81.exe fails when including live555 in the build. That's probably
the source of the "invalid device 'ascii'" error.

===============><8================
> gcc  -o ndisasm.exe ndisasm.o disasm.o sync.o nasmlib.o insnsd.o
> nroff -man nasm.1 > nasm.man
> /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
> /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
> c:\MinGW\bin\make.exe: *** [nasm.man] Error 3
> ===============><8================
>
> I see some references to cygwin here... Is it correct? Yes, I installed
> cygwin earlier, but then I installed MinGW. Maybe I need to remove cygwin
> from the system?

Cygwin is not the problem. You need to compile and install nasm: check out
ftp.gnu.org for the nasm source code. Again, read the MingwHOWTO.txt file
linked to in the html documentation. When all else fails, please read the
instruction manual.

If so, then how to do it correctly? AFAIK, cygwin has no
> uninstaller.
>
> > I wasn't aware that Mplayer uses nasm!? Does it?

Yes, read the HOWTO file.