[MPlayer-users] Encode HD to lower resolution to play without "your system is too SLOW"

Dmitry Antipov dmantipov at yandex.ru
Tue Apr 10 14:31:43 CEST 2007

Hans du Plooy wrote:

> Forgive me for asking the obvious question, but are you sure your
> graphics drivers are installed and working properly?

As I understand, audio/video drivers isn't important here since postprocessing
and rendering isn't involved at all if '-ao null -vo null' is specified.
I.e. CPU power isn't enough even to decode the picture (with real-time speed).

> I can play the
> file in your link on a 1.8ghz Turion notebook with ATI graphics (shared
> RAM) without the fglrx driver.  I have to pass -vo x11 because xv
> doesn't cope so well with my screen being smaller than the movie's
> dimentions.

This file is ~90 secs - try to play it ~30-40 secs and you will see "your system
is too SLOW" message (if you're not using '-really-quiet' or similar shut-up option).
If not, it's a _real_ _miracle_.

Dmitry