[MPlayer-users] Re: sending mplayer signals

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Aug 17 20:07:23 CEST 2006

Michael Stein wrote:
> Am Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:19:16 -0700 schrieb Corey Hickey:
>
>> Michael Stein wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>> is it possible to send mplayer/mencoder a quit-signals with kill?
>>> Or is there another method start and stop that programs non-interaktiv?
>> Yes. Both mplayer and mencoder behave like most other programs with
>> respect to the common signals: STOP, CONT, TERM, INT, and, of course,
>> KILL.  What, specifically, are you trying to do that's giving you trouble?
>>
>> -Corey
>
> Hi Corey
> I'm thinking about timer-driven recording of a live-real-stream.
> - Michael

There should be no trouble. Do something like:

1. at time X: $ mencoder ..... or mplayer -dumpstream .....
2. at time Y: $ kill -SIGINT `pidof mencoder`

SIGINT will let mencoder exit cleanly and leave a complete file. You'll
probably want a better way of specifying the mencoder PID; that's just a
very rough example.

If you're still having trouble and need more help then you'll have to be
much more specific with your question.

-Corey