[MPlayer-users] DVD subtitles and gmplayer

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Wed May 25 16:43:11 CEST 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 02:39:59PM +0200, Raul Benavente wrote:
> Hi.
>
> First congratulations for mplayer, Its wonderfull, but I have a bit
> problen when extracting subtitles from dvds, someone has asked it
> before, but I dont see it very clear...
>
> http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2002-December/025052.html
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user/35695/match=subtitle+dvd
>
> I have the same problem, the dvd ifo report to have 6 subtitles but
> there are 12 subtile tracks to select using -sid, the first problem I
> have is that the gmplayer menu only show 6 tracks, not all.

A dvd can have more than one sid associated to each subtitle.
It is used to display different subtitle depending of the
display mode selected on the TV (widescreen, letterbox, pan & scan)
I have seen some information about that on the dvdauthor mailing list.

> Ok, that is not very important, I still can play that subtitles with
> mplayer -sid n, but I dont know hat language is in each sid, so I have
> to extract all and test, what is not very scriptable (I need
> programming a bit).
>
> My question... How can I know how many real subtitle tracks there are
> and what are theris languages?

In verbose mode check the output:
==> Found subtitle: n
Each line correspond to a spu subtitle present in the mpeg stream.

> I allready use libdvdread, but the ifo structure only reports the 6 of
> the ifo, Can I use dvdread to fetch correct information (12 subtitles
> and laguages)?

ifo_dump will show you all the informations. The only problem
is to understand the output :-).

Giacomo