[MPlayer-users] Question on DivX versions...

Rainer Hantsch office at hantsch.co.at
Tue May 10 10:05:05 CEST 2005

On Mon, 9 May 2005, RC wrote:

| On Mon, 9 May 2005 12:30:35 +0200 (CEST)
| Rainer Hantsch <office at hantsch.co.at> wrote:
|
| > My question: What are the differences between DivX4 and DivX5 that
| > make a XINE crash? I always thought that DivX is backwards compatible!
|
| Well, the differences are things like (packed) B-frames, qpel, v4mv,
| etc. That really shouldn't make XINE crash, but Divx5 definately isn't
| backwards compatible.

Thank you very much for this explanation. So, when I understand right, the
major advantage of DivX5 will be (in case of recording movies) that it
will pherhaps make smaller files.
This emphases my decision to stay at DivX4 when encoding movies, because this
will at least be upwards compatible. A change to DivX5 would mean digging my
own grave of incompatibilities...

What's about XVID ? Many movies are available in this format. To which
version of DivX is XVID compatible or can be compared with? Or is it totally
different?

 mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch