[MPlayer-users] HackTV Equivalent?

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Sat Jun 18 08:40:08 CEST 2005

Hello. As a laptop user, I've found myself confined within my current
system hardware configuration, and have since accepted that all
upgrades/expansions must be done through USB/FireWire (Empty PCI
slots, phhbbbppp! Who needs 'em?! ;). One of the things I've always
been looking for, though, was a cheap USB/FireWire video capture
method. Sure, I can capture DV footage from a DV camera at the snap
of a finger, but analog is a bit more expensive. Until now, the
closest I came was a WinTV USB device that didn't work with my
laptop, even after speaking with the MPlayer community (Seems USB
devices that don't have official Mac support cannot be made to
function in MPlayer). Since then, however, I've discovered a program
called HackTV (Mac only application). HackTV allows the pass-through
ADC in most DV camcorders to be viewed and recorded. This differs
from most other programs that work with DV cams since it doesn't
bother with playback control.

The program doesn't seem to have any real support or development
going, and I've found a few inefficiencies in it. I've been
wondering, does MPlayer have currently such a function? To take
incoming DV streams and simply play them back or record them without
interacting with playback control? Is such a system in development?
Or is HackTV my only refuge?

Thank you for all your help.

"The real problem with hunting elephants is carrying the decoys."
(fortune spew)