[MPlayer-users] Encoding from DVB-T mpeg-ts recordings

Samson Lee samson.lee at eng.uts.edu.au
Sun Oct 3 14:02:46 CEST 2004

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> Samson Lee wrote:
>
>> I want to convert my DVB-T mpeg-ts recordings to mpeg4/divx video with
>> direct copy audio (mp3). The command I tried is this:
>>
>> mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac copy -o output.avi
>> input.ts
>>
> DVB contains almost always mp2, sometimes ac3

This is the mencoder output showing it selected [mp3] audio codec:

Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
MP3lib: init layer2&3 finished, tables done
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 32000->192000 (256.0 kbit)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm:mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)

Does that mean mp3 or mp2?

>> When I play the output.avi file in Windows Media Player (yeh i know ..
>> it's for someone else!) or Zoomplayer, the video works but there is no
>> audio. The file plays properly with both video and audio in mplayer of
>> course. I also tried playing it with the DivX Player, which tells me,
>> "This file contains unknown audio data .. Tag 80".
>
> 80==0x50 is mp2. If you want to keep audio unmodified you should install
> the latest ffdshow
> (available here:
> http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-view_articles.php) and
> configure
> its audio decoder to handle mp2 (I suggest libmad as codec)

Cool, I have ffdshow already .. just gotta figure out how to configure
libmad ..

Also, is it possible to do a perfect mp2 to mp3 transcode? If so, how?
If not, what's the closest?

Thanks heaps ..