[MPlayer-users] lavc acodec

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Oct 3 10:06:52 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 17:23:09 -0700
"Ricardo Kleemann" <ricardo at americasnet.com> wrote:

> Maybe the correct question is, how do I know what codecs my
> installation supports?

You look in the man page, for "acodec="

> In codecs.conf I see a lot of codecs, but many
> or most of them don't seem to be supported (I don't know how to tell).

codecs.conf is for playback/decoding, NOT encoding.

> acodec=xxx" such as:
> acodec=faad
> acodec=mp3
> acodec=mp4a

The available codecs are listed in the man page under "acodec=".  It's
all or nothing...  If you have libavcodec at all, all of them should
work.

> If I don't provide any acodec and just allow "-oac lavc" use its
> default, the resulting avi file does play audio fine.

The man page also tells you what the default lavc audio codec is, if you
don't specify one.

> Is 0x50 the format identifier for the audio codec?  What would 0x50
> stand for?

Yes.  If you look in codecs.conf for 0x50, you'll find it.

> Again, the AVI file from mencoder does play audio fine, but I can't
> convert to mp4 and still keep the audio.

If you'd read the mp4creator docs, you'd know it requires either AAC or
MP3 audio.