[MPlayer-users] encoding dvd compliant mpeg2s

nodecode at comcast.net nodecode at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 03:24:56 CEST 2004

hey all,
I have been working for three days trying to produce dvd compliant mpeg2 files from some avis (divx) that i had. I originally tried to encode by using

mencoder -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=5000 -vf scale=720:480 -ofps 29.97 -o output input.avi

the file produced had a bitrate of 2800. I read the docs and added the vrc_minrate and vrc_maxrate options to the command which only resulted in a file with a bitrate of 900. I tried ffmpeg for the same thing and had a similar problem although I was actually able to get a bitrate of 5000 if i set my target bitrate to 9000.

Could anyone tell me how to do this in mencoder and get a file with the bitrate i want?