[MPlayer-users] direct mplayer output to a console

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Jun 17 21:43:02 CEST 2004

Details: I am trying to run startx with irexec which gets run from local.start
and I want to be able to get to mplayer's output so I can see where and why it
stopped when what it is playing is hosed.

Here is how I am currently doing it:

/etc/conf.d/local.start:
su - carl -c '/usr/bin/screen -d -m /usr/bin/irexec'

/home/carl/.lircrc:
begin irexec
        begin
                remote = CREATIVE_INFRA_DVD
                button = play
                prog=irexec
                config=PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/bin startx -e
/usr/local/bin/mplayer /mnt/auto/cdrom/*
        end

startx displays it's stuff to the screen session.  mplayer opens 2 X windows: 1
for the movie, one for it's console output.  When mplayer stops the console
window closes.  While it is playing, the console keyboard controls mplayer (the
one hooked to the box running mplayer.)

I would like the console output to go to a screen session.  That way I can
connect from my laptop that is near the couch and see what is going on, and give
it keyboard commands.

Carl Karsten