[MPlayer-users] xvid and mencoder - corrupt headers?

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Jun 6 09:16:13 CEST 2004

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 01:35:44 -0400
Brian Neltner <neltnerb at neltner.mit.edu> wrote:

> Which mailing list was this discussion on?

This one, mostly.

> I'm not really sure what this is, but an uneducated guess-- could it
> perhaps not be checking for the AVI 2.0 format in the header unless
> the file is over 2 gigs?--

Yes, that is exactly what MPlayer does.  It was mentioned on -dev that
some AVI files can't be read if it tries to use ODML, so the default is
to try regular AVI unless it's too big to be regular AVI.

In MPlayer-1.0pre4:

libmpdemux/aviheader.c: unmodified: line 228 of 713 [31%]

      // FIXME: do not use odml index for files that don't need it.
      // apparently the odml code is buggy!
      if (demuxer->movi_end < 0x7fffffff) break;

You could change 0x7fffffff to about half that, so it will read ODML for
1GB+ files.  Alternatively:

libmpdemux/muxer_avi.c: unmodified: line 33 of 656 [5%]

#define ODML_CHUNKLEN    0x40000000

You could change that to double, so it won't write ODML information for
files under 2GBs...
Not sure if that will be readable, since ODML is supposed to be every
1GB at max according to spec.

I really though that the devs would have worked out a better solution by
now...