[MPlayer-users] 3-pass encodes with ogg vorbis?

* afe0108 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 06:54:54 CET 2004

--- D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 06:09:20PM +0000, Goran Hane wrote:
> > Just a thought, but why don't use normalize for audio-normalization, just
> > run normalize audiodump.wav after the audio is extracted and then oggenc
> > it?
>
> NEVER blindly normalize audio. It will hurt quality severely if your
> samples frequently go near +-32767, since frequency-space codecs
> cannot reliably reproduce these values without clipping. If your
> normalization program is smart enough to keep the peak sufficiently
> below the limit, it's probably ok, but you should do double-blind
> listening tests to confirm that the quality isn't reduced. IMO it's
> MUCH safer to adjust volume at playback time rather than during
> encoding. With ogg/vorbis you can even insert a tag in the file header
> to automatically amplify the output.
>
> Rich

I don't understand how adjusting at playback would be any different
than during encoding, unless the idea is that is changeable.  Also I
can't seem to find anything to insert that in ogmtools?

Hopefully transcode is smart enough.  I am not confident in my ears'
ability to detect a difference.

Also I should mention, that I think transcode uses a linear rescale
(or that's what it sounds like anyway) and mencoder seems to use dB,
so I've been converting with:

    mencoder rescale = 20*log(transcode suggested volume rescale)

I guess I will need to look into this more, or ask on the transcode
mailing list.  Thanks.