[MPlayer-users] Walmart music download service & MPlayer

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jan 7 05:09:43 CET 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:43:42PM +1000, R G Cottrell wrote:
> Matthias Wieser wrote:
>
> >[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> >Am Dienstag, 6. Januar 2004 21:12 schrieb R G Cottrell:
> >

> >>Okay, tell me how I can buy non-DRM'd files (and run them) from my
> >>Linux box.
> >>

> >www.allofmp3.com
> >
> Okay, that's an option, but at their prices I doubt the artists ever see
> a cent.

Feel free to write a check to the artist and stick it in the mail. :)

> >You are even able to specify bitrate and format (mp3, ogg,...)
> >

> Neat.
>
> BTW, does anybody care to wax lyrical on the merits of the ogg format?
> Like, why should I use ogg rather than mp3?
> Apologies if this is too far offtopic.

The vorbis codec is very very good. At very high archival-quality
bitrates, mp3 and vorbis are about equal in quality, but at low
bitrates, vorbis is much better. A 64kbps vorbis-encoded file is often
comparable to a 128kbps mp3, and 32kbps vorbis even sounds good enough
for streaming radio use.

On the other hand, the ogg container which the vorbis people designed
is a horrible abomination, and just wastes space, adds senseless
complexity (which makes it difficult for hardware players to support),
and overall sucks...

Rich