[MPlayer-users] Converting DivX4 -> MPEG ?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Oct 25 22:43:53 CEST 2003

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 08:27:19PM +0200, MvH wrote:
> If you have time to spare and cpu, why not convert your movies to SVCD? It
> can be played by any p233 something and almost every (cheap) dvd player.
> and the quality's good.

The quality is considerably worse than mpeg4, and it requires 3 discs,
which is a horrible nuisance when actually trying to watch the movie.

> I find it a very satisfying way of archiving video material ( even the
> homebrewn :) until I have money for a (expensive) mp4/xvid/divx player.

IMO SVCD should *never* be used for archival or distribution purposes
because it (a) loses lots of resolution, and (b) wastes lots of bits
on black borders, lowering quality beyond the already bad compression
of mpeg2.

Rich