[MPlayer-users] Monitor Aspect Ratio

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Sun Oct 19 07:49:27 CEST 2003

> > After hunting through the source code, found the following in
> > libvo/aspec.c:
> > float monitor_aspect=4.0/3.0;

Since this question has come up before, maybe a comment should be added to the
effect of:

/* Default value for -monitoraspect option */

so that people reading the source would realise what it's for and how to
easily change it.

> Using the physical size from the X server is unacceptable since it's
> often (at least slightly) wrong, and will mess things up in the (much
> more common) case where aspect should be exact 4:3.

For example, I have an old 14" monitor that's 4:3, but in my quest to get as
much desktop real estate as possible (with a >= 70Hz refresh rate) it runs at
a resolution of 920x512, which, if calculated automatically would yeild an
aspect ratio of 1.79:1 (or 16.17:9, a little more than widescreen) instead of
the correct ratio of 4:3.  Sure, this is an extreme case, but common
resolutions such as 1280x1024 are also not exactly 4:3.

Cheers,
Adam.