[MPlayer-users] Re: bug in FFmpeg?

Alex [CROW] alexcrow at ua.fm
Wed Jul 9 01:18:39 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 09 July 2003 00:16, Jonathan Rogers wrote:

> If "-vo xv" has trouble, but "-vo x11" doesn't, I would suspect the
> components that come later than libavcodec. For instance, I have a very

What components come later?
The output/rendering system? No, i don't think so, most non-DivX movies
play in Mplayer VERY NICE!

> similar problem with any video wider than about 750 on my TNT2 Vanta. I
> have very few videos this large, so I didn't know about the problem for
> quite a while. I get the problem playing the high resolution Matrix
> trailer (1000 columns wide), which is SVQ3.

so the problem was with SVQ3, and you used XVideo too? Or x11 driver?

> I transcoded it to MPEG-4
> using lavc and the result has the exact same problem, though my machine
> can play it without dropping too many frames. Both play clearly with
> "-vo x11", but have the junk with Xine.

I can't use -vo x11 because of slow CPU :(
But if i had better one -- of course i would use x11 and wouldn't complain.
I like XVideo because it allows scaling without performance degradation.
Next, i don't use DIvX postprocessing, so movies can go fast in XVideo
(but still slow in all other drivers)

> You  talk about "movies of high bitrates, fast movements", but how about
> the frame size?
The typical frame size is 640x256 (as used in sample AVI)
Not big, as i have movies with bigger size that go well.