[MPlayer-users] Re: Doc's Suggestion

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Fri Jan 3 23:45:35 CET 2003

 :: Date: 03 Jan 2003 08:50:37 -0700
 :: From: Michael Halcrow <mah69 at email.byu.edu>
 ::
 :: I agree that the man page is a beast, but I really like knowing that I
 :: can find out whatever I want to know through a man page. As a
 :: compromise, how about splitting up the man page, similar to perl
 :: (perlfunc, perltrap, etc.)? For example: mplayer, mencoder, mplayervop,
 :: mplayerdemuxer, mplayertv, mplayerosd, mplayeraudio, mplayervideo,
 :: mplayeravc, ...?
 ::
 :: Mike

Frankly, I'd love to see the comprehensive documentation written
up in "texinfo" format so that "info" pages could be generated
a la gcc, emacs, and a hundred other linux subsytems.  No GUI
web browsers necessary  Light fast, easily editable.

And I'd volunteer myself if

(1) I new how to write texinfo files and (far more importantly)
(2) new enough about mplayer/mencoder to be able to actually
    contribute to the data base of knowlege.

    Actually the web-based docs I find to be pretty nice (compared
    to most Open Source stuff) but since new stuff is being added
    and explained on this list all the time, I'd love to see
    it factored in to those docs (and those docs translated
    to texinfo).
(3) I had even a modicum of free time to do it.  What a great
    learning exercise!

Dean