[MPlayer-users] mencoder for streaming

Lars Boegild Thomsen lth at cow.dk
Wed Feb 26 11:30:32 CET 2003

Hi there,

A bit off topic on the mplayer mailing list, but well - why make things so
complicated?  Depending on your choice or codec of course, why not use
ffmpeg/ffserver package on the capture side?  It does pretty much what you
need out of the package.

ffserver will spawn a ffmpeg to encode video/audio in whatever codec
supported by libavformat (divx4/5/6 primarily) and then make the encoded
stream available through http.  Pretty easy to get going and way less
complicated than using mencoder.

If you need to capture the stream and save it you can do that with mencoder
from another box in the network.