[MPlayer-users] 100% CPU usage while caching streams

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Mon Feb 24 16:09:46 CET 2003

I encounter the following problem:
Whenever I try to stream something over my slow modem line,
mplayer goes to 100% CPU usage while the cache is filled.
I have access to several machines, and it only happens on notebooks
where I sometimes use the modem line from home. The problem
does not occur when streaming over faster internet conenctions.
This is independent of kernel, software (various Redhat and SuSE
installations)
and hardware. The only difference is that it happens on notebooks
which have a combo card for modem and ethernet. On the ethernet listens
a DHCP client, but the ethernet is of course not connected, when I am
online via the modem.
When mplayer fills its cache, it writes *HUGE* amounts of stuff to stdout
(or stderr?) about the status of filling the cache, but the high CPU usage
does not come from this, since running it with -really_quite does suppress
this output but doesnot have any effect on CPU usage.
The problem occurs with all recent versions of mplayer I have used
during the last few months.

Michael Flohr