[MPlayer-users] 16:9 format usage

Thomas Malt tm at linpro.no
Mon Feb 24 16:08:00 CET 2003

"Danny Poulsen" <danny.poulsen at email.dk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is it me who misunderstand the aspect option or what? I've got a
> 16:9 tv and I'm trying show the movies in the right format on this.

Setting the aspect counter intuitively to 4:3 (-aspect 4:3) should
give you correct aspect on a widescreen TV when you play a 16:9 movie.

The only difference between a 4:3 analog video-signal and a 16:9
analog video-signal is that the 16:9 signal is squashed. 4:3 and 16:9
has, in most cases, the exact same horizontal and vertical
resolution. Your TV stretches the image to fit the whole screen when
you switch to widescreen.

These settings work on my widescreen tv

16:9   : -aspect 4:3 (1.33)
2.34:1 : -aspect 16:9 (1.78)

setting -monitoraspect correctly should work as well.

Thomas
--
: Thomas Malt.: tm at linpro.no ...: http://www.malt.no/ ...: +4797748504 :
: Linpro AS...: info at linpro.no .: http://www.linpro.no/ .: +4722871180 :