[MPlayer-users] Feature request: transcode's smartdeinter filter.

John Evans jevans64 at knology.net
Tue Feb 18 11:41:41 CET 2003

I would love to see a new deinterlace filter for mplayer/mencoder. I've been
pulling my hair out
to get an encode on Linux to look as good as the encodes I do on the Windoze
side using
AVIsynth/DVD2AVI/VirtualDub/Decomb4.05.

Rich. Look into a port of Donald Graft's Decomb for mencoder. The field
deinterlacer is the best
I've come across and the source is available ( coding is not my strong
suit ).

pp=fd does not work for my source ( the UFO, Star Trek, Space1999 series ).

I've been able to get very good results ( as good as Decomb ) using
Transcode 0.6.3 with the
following postprocessing filters enabled >>>

-J ivtc,decimate  ( just part of the script since I don't have access to my
Linux box now ).

It is slow ( about 6 FPS on a P3 1GHz ) and a little bit of a trick has to
be done with the audio to
get the sync right ( I have not figured out how to properly extract and
convert the ac3 audio from 29.97
 to 23.976 ).

I am currently sticking with Windoze since I get about 18 - 20 FPS there.
:-(

Make sure that -M 0 and the framerate is 29.97.

The audio should be extracted separately. I use AVIdemux to change the frame
rate of the video to 23.976
and mux the ac3 audio.

I hope this helps someone since I only have a few weeks experience with
Transcode.

John