[MPlayer-users] -speed switch cause broken audiodump.wav

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sat Feb 15 13:53:02 CET 2003

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 02:27:38PM +0100, Arpi wrote:

> > > Fastest dumping is achieved with
> > > mplayer -ao pcm -aofile myfile.wav -vc dummy -vo null
> > > Use any non-existing vc.
> > Works fine! Thanks! This is the exact behavior I would have expected
> > from "-vc null"
>
> no.
> -vc null means no decoding but empty video (so you'll get gray/black empty
> video window).
> -vc nonexisting will disable video output completely due to no codec found

Aaaahhh... now I see the difference. Perhaps this difference should be
documented? Because "-vo non-existant" complains, I deduced that it
would be illegal to specify "-vc non-existant".

In addition, "-ac pcm" recommends:

   PCM: Info: fastest dumping is achieved with -vc null -vo null

This thread has shown that this recommendation is wrong.

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --