[MPlayer-users] RH8: Can't Use VESA, Even As Root

Dan Yungk daniel.yungk at snet.net
Fri Feb 7 13:49:39 CET 2003

Chris,

Appreciate your input on this.

I don't believe it's related to su.  That's one of several ways I've
tried to invoke VESA.  Typically, I'll switch over to another console,
and log in from scratch.  I had thought that perhaps being logged in as
both a normal user on an X console, and as root on a text console, might
have something to do with it, so I've rebooted and logged in as root
right from the start, still with no luck.

Is it possible that there's some device or file used that's incorrectly
owned by my normal user ID?  I know Redhat goes through some process
where it assigns ceretain devices to whoever is logged in.  Perhaps root
can't access them in such a case.  Being somewhat new and self-taught on
Linux, I don't know if this theory makes sense, but it's one of the few
that I have right now.

Thanks again.

--
Damian
Increasing The Entropy Of The Universe Since 1972