[MPlayer-users] running mplayer as background process ? ENGLISH

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Feb 6 23:22:55 CET 2003

I can't tell who wrote what in this email, the quoting appears to be
messed up... Anyway, ...

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 05:07:53PM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> I have a mediabox near my stereo that i use as an mp3 server, and to listen to
> and watch internet streams. I have a radio station I'd like to be able to
> play the stream and log out and have the stream continue to play. I tried
> just using nohup and that didn't work so then I searched the archives and
> found the post Gabor made a while back. I tried his method but this doesn't
> work either.
> is there a way I can run
> mplayer
> "http://www.live365.com/play/293353?membername=&session=kxlu1%3A0&SaneID=24.195.6.180-1039828265927&lid=511-usa"
>
> in the background and be able to log out from my ssh session and still have it
> run?

Best way imho is to learn how to use screen. (man screen)

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 10:48:07PM +0100, Martin Hoffmann wrote:
> > i'm trying to call mplayer from a shell script which runs in the
> > background. Mplayer starts but waits until its turned into foreground (fg)
> > - otherwise it will not play :-( Is there a way to make mplayer work in
> > the background ? I don't need it's output on the console and i control it
> > via lirc - so i don't want it in the foreground :-)
> >
> > Anyone ?
>
> What about something similar:
>
> mplayer valamivan.avi </dev/zero >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
                         ^^^^^^^^^

Huh? Do you really want to spam mplayer's stdin with an infinite
stream of \0's? This sounds like a very bad idea! </dev/null would
make much more sense.

Rich