[MPlayer-users] mplayer 0.90-rc3 a poor mp3 player

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Tue Feb 4 09:59:15 CET 2003

On 03.02.01 Eric Jorgensen pressed the following keys:

> > It's a known issue. mp3lib sucks and doesn't handle streams with extra
> > crap in them well, but it's very very fast so it's good for movies
> > that don't have id3 tags and whatnot polluting them.
> >
> > If you want to play mp3 audio files, use -ac ffmp3 or better yet -ac
> > mad (if you have libmad installed). MAD is known for being very
> > robust, so it shouldn't make the weird pops and whatnot.
>

> 	-ac ffmp3 has the same issue, it just plays the noise at a higher pitch.
> 	-ac mad does seem to overcome the issue. It'd be nice if that could be the
> default for mp3s,

place in your ~/.mplayer/config:
ac	= mad,vorbis,whatever,codecs,you,happen,to,use

or

ac	= mad,

to try mad first and then go through rest of codecs.

> or if this issue could be somehow documented somewhere.

But you already admitted that these are somehow broken files. I believe
that it was already stated in docs, that mplayer may have problems
playing broken files.

Generally RTFM, at least once.

Robert

--