[MPlayer-users] samba...

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Sat Feb 1 01:01:24 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 00:05, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:45:15PM +0100, gabor wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > some time ago someone implemented smb:// support into mplayer....
> > is there a way to activate it?
>
> I don't think this feature was ever committed, but you can check
> configure --help. IMHO though this is a HUGE waste/abuse of network
> resources; you should copy the movie and play it locally to avoid
> flooding the network every time you watch it and thrashing the disk of
> whoever's sharing the file.

i already checked configure --help, it wasnt there

about abusing the network...
1.
you know i like to browse the network, and when i see a movie or
whatever i like to just open it and see what's it about.... that without
going thru all of smbmount ....

2.
some people like more if i watch a movie from the network, because that
way i use their harddisk only for let's say 200kb/s.... which is really
tolerable... but if i copy it to me , i do it at 3000kb/s... which is
not that much tolerable :-)

i only wanted to demonstrate you that there can be reasons, imho of
course

as you see all of this can be solved with smbmount but sometimes i just
browse using konqueror/nautilus...

gabor