[MPlayer-users] what video card is better

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Sun Dec 28 01:23:21 CET 2003

Cecil Watson said:
> Mario Medina Nussbaum wrote:
>
>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>Hi! i need to build a system with two cards, two monitors. In one i have
>> an
>>administrative console, in the other i will have video, from a DVD
>> source.
>>
>>For the DVD, what is the best card, some one that can decode or help the
>>decode of the mpeg2 format?
>>
>>I see that matrox are good, but i wish to hear opinions from the experts
>> :)
>>
>>What card and model works very good with linux and mplayer :)
>>

> Why two cards?  Why not one card capable of dual heads?  Yes, as far as
> image quality Matrox is hard to beat.

Actually for quality video I always recomend ATI, matrox is already legacy
video card.
But if you want hardware acceleration then you should use NVidia GeForce4
MX440, or GeForce FX. Probably S3 ProSavage/Twister may have acceleration
too, but so far they are not tested.
Anyway if you have GHz CPU you should not have problems with decoding of DVD.

Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev
  iive